"There is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost."
-Martha Graham
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
"There are as many loves as there are hearts"
One of the benefits of being sick is that I finished the 800 page book I started about a month and a half ago called Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. It was a beautiful book and it has been in my head for the last few days since I finished it so I figure I'll write about it. First of all, Tolstoy wrote this beautifully. I don't know how he did it but he wrote a wonderfully intriguing social commentary on Russian aristocracy and love for 800 pages which basically chronicles several people's lives and it captured my attention the whole time. It was like an 800 page book of Pride and Prejudice about Russian Aristocracy about a woman, Anna, who ruins herself with her love affair. I think one of the major themes of the book is the difference between our ideal and our reality. All of us have a reality that we would like to live, and a lot of times it feels like other people live our ideal. However, once we get inside of the other people's lives it becomes clear that maybe our life is exactly what we want and we find a peace and happiness. Although fear and deception can inhibit our happiness ultimately it is within our power to put the good into our lives. It also has a lot of religious themes and love themes that are beautiful and made me think a lot. Now that said, I know there is a movie coming out about this book that looks beautiful and one of the reasons I initially picked it up. I just watched the trailer again and to my dismay found out that this is rated R! After having read the book I can not fathom why it is rated R and not only will I not watch it because I don't watch R rated movies but if they made the movie rated R they have probably twisted the book in a way that I wouldn't care to watch anyway but still I am not happy about it...
No comments:
Post a Comment