Sunday, September 16, 2012

And we're up again

Jason and I successfully survived our first full week of working and going to school! This is something to celebrate about since I worked 40 hours, Jason did school more than that, we went grocery shopping, paid bills, cooked yummy dinners, and we succeeded going to the temple for the 5th week in a row! (Why we were never able to do that in Utah, I really can't answer) I feel exhausted but pretty accomplished. And since we both recovered from our sickness we celebrated by going into Boston on Saturday to visit once again the freedom trail and the Haymarket. Probably our biggest success of the day was going to Mike's Pastry which is world famous for their Cannoli's and man were they delicious. Food is honestly the best way to feel satisfied when touring, even if it was over priced :)

Statue of Paul Revere 

 Mike's Pastry Cannoli's....Amazing!
 You can't see it but this is a sign for the garden of Sir William Phips...the discoverer of sunken treasure! Oh not to mention he was also the first royal governor of Boston, Boston seems to think sunken treasure is a better thing to remembered for and hence is Jason's new goal.
 This is the Old North church, the second Anglican church to be built in Boston in 1723 and this is the church that Paul Revere had the lanterns hung to warn that the British were coming.
And this is us, just enjoying Boston from the other side of the Harbor, one of the best views of the city.


So far Jason and I haven't decided quite what we think of Boston itself. It's an interesting city because it is so small and so everything is compounded. The history is amazing and the harbor is beautiful. My favorite place in the city so far is Columbus Park because you can look at the Harbor and listen to the street performers and it's just peaceful. The not so fun parts is everything is really expensive. Since Jason and I live here it's different than if we were tourists and could justify all the money. Instead we budget and see things in pieces. We have yet to go to any of the museums that I hear are amazing because it will be about $40.00 for us to go into one, not saying that we won't, just that it's something we have to budget out for. The other not so fun parts are experiencing the people that you can avoid when you live in your own little world. While walking through Boston Commons there were masses of people who were smoking marijuana and we felt like we were in the middle of a drug town. When we got home we found out it was a rally to revise marijuana laws...at least that explained it. There were also homeless people asking for people to "help them get drunk" as well as all the bars we passed with people just getting drunk. Then on the other side there are the super rich people that buy EXPENSIVE stuff for who knows what. It made me really thankful for the gospel in my life and that I have some direction and I feel like amidst all the confusion I know where the real happiness comes from.

2 comments:

  1. You guys are ADORABLE. And if you want to talk to someone about pot smoking neighbors in Boston, talk to Parker and Carolyn :) And I agree, the one downside to the east coast is that everything is more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys are living it up! Have fun! Eat some cannolis for us!

    ReplyDelete