Sunday, June 15, 2014

Fort Sumter

One thing that we decided that had to be done while we were here in Charleston is go to Fort Sumter so since I can't conceptualize life after a baby we decided we'd make the most of our memorial day by accomplishing something on our list of things to see. The fort itself is actually really small.  The boat ride is by far the best part. However, it was worth going and I definitely recommend this tour to anyone who comes to Charleston as one of the first things to do.  For those who don't know the Fort is where the first shots were fired that started the Civil War. (and yes, I realize as a history major that that is a statement full assumptions and simplifications and goes against all I was taught) So they have a nice little narration they play on the boat that tells you all about the history of the fort as well as other key points in Charleston. It's the best concise history I've heard from all the touristy things and it gives you a good idea for the culture of the area. It's been so interesting to live in a state that is so strong in its state history and has it's own state militia. And they are very proud of their place in American History.  It makes for a very interesting mix.

P.s. forgive all the pics of us, apparently I didn't find very interesting things to take pictures of at the Fort...








No comments:

Post a Comment